The Knights Templar
Maryculter House has been 800 years in the making. We can trace our history right back to the time of the Great Crusades, when the Knights Templar were granted part of the land of Culter, on the south side of the River Dee, by King William the Lion in 1187.
Between 1221 and 1236, the powerful Bisset family, the Lords of Aboyne, founded the Preceptory, or College, of the Knights Templar on the site of Maryculter House. All that remains of these buildings today are the stone vaulted chambers located underneath the Great Hall, and the somewhat enchanting burial grounds and chapel ruins in the grounds next to the hotel.
Dating back to 1460, our atmospheric Great Hall is the most ancient part of the hotel, and is redolent with historic grandeur. Indeed it is probably one of the oldest continually inhabited dwellings in the area.
The Knights of St John of Jerusalem remained at Maryculter for over 200 years, until the eve of the Reformation. In 1312 Pope Clement V and Philippe Le Bel, King of France, suppressed the Knights Templar, as did King Edward II. With that,the order of the Templars was abolished, and their lands on Deeside confiscated.